PREFACE: Posted below are my notes for the Sunday morning sermon of November 27th, 2022. Due to a lightning strike, our audio and visual equipment has been out of commission for some time. Thus, I am unable to provide a link to the actual message. As usual, my notes do not always follow what was delivered. However, I provide these for your own study as a means to help you further your discipleship. These notes are unedited and are provided merely for guidance.
My Soul Magnifies the Lord
INTRODUCTION: Think of those moments when you were truly alive. Full of awe and wonder. You burst out in song. That is exactly what Mary does here.
Many of you know the operatic “Magnificat,” the song of Mary. Personally, I find it a dirge rather than a huge anthem. This song is a burst of praise. It is a soul being released from bonds to this world and being enraptured with the delight of God Himself.
THE SETTING: Mary sees Elizabeth, and within Elizabeth, John the Baptist leaps for joy. Mary has found a friend who can relate, one who can share excitement over the redemptive work of God.
And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, (Luk 1:46)
SOUL=Psuche=part of life that is able to communicate with God.
Magnify/exult Found in several references in the Bible
- Magnify takes the focus off of self and puts it upon the object of worship
- It fails to look at distracting objects
- It is Focused. That is, it is learning what it can and receiving delight in what it pays attention to.
- Megalyno is closely related to the words for Majesty and greatness. (Height or growth)
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, (Luk 1:47)
- Ecstatic leaping joy
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; (Luk 1:48)
- Who am I to receive such a blessing.
- Worship brings humility, and humility brings worship as we come to a right perspective of our relationship to the Almighty Holy God.
for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.(Luk 1:49)
- Encounters with God will always come to grips with His holiness
And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. (Luk 1:50)
Mercy=compassion His mercy is not wasted upon those who will not give it its proper place.
He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; (Luk 1:51)
- Judgment is a reality that defends God’s name.
- Proud in the thoughts of their hearts is akin to Satan and his rebellion
he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; (Luk 1:52)
- Worldly successes are no guarantee of favor with God. Nor are they secure from judgment. Rather, the more you are given the more that will be required of you.
he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. (Luk 1:53)
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
- How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of Heaven
He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy (Luk 1:54)
- Honoring His reputation, He fulfills His promises by His power, despite our sinfulness.
- His birth would dawn the ultimate redemption
as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.” (Luk 1:55)
- Covenant, this all goes back to the covenant.
CONCLUSION: My goal is for us to gain and never lose the awe and wonder of God. Of Christ with us, of redemption, of forgiveness and thankfulness. You exist, you were created for the worship of God. Does your soul Magnify the Lord?
True worship of God worships Him for Him, not just the stuff He provides. We want the Bread of Life, not the bread He gives.
Luk 2:16-19 And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. (17) And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. (18) And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. (19) But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.
Mary treasured the awe and wonder of God. She worshipped. Worship is not just the expression of praise in song. It is a condition of the heart that fears and is in awesome wonder of God.
Today, our invitation is a little different. I simply want to pray for our church body……